Pages

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Awesomeness Revealed

A beautiful friend posted something on her facebook wall not too long ago and I skipped past it thinking, “I'll look at it some other time.” Then she posted it again, tagging someone else, and I thought, “It looks interesting, but if I'm meant to read it, I'll remember to come back to it when I have time.” The third time she posted it, tagging yet another person, I decided to take the hint and read it. I'm very glad I did.

The smile says it all, "I'm
AWESOME
and I KNOW it!
Waking Up Full of Awesome talks about the awesomeness that we KNOW we have when we're young and posed the questions:
Do you still have it?
The awesome.

Did someone take it from you?
Did you let them?
Did you hand it over, because someone told you weren’t beautiful enough, thin enough, smart enough, good enough?
Why the hell would you listen to them?
Did you consider they might be full of shit?”

Wow! I mean, how could it be put any better than that?! We come into this world with the innate ability to “ROCK IT!” and somewhere along the line we either learn to keep it or have it beaten out of us by the world. Are the people who have it beaten out of them any less awesome? NO! They simply have stopped having the ability to SEE it.

As I read through the comments on the blog post (yep, I'm a comment addict...I love finding out what others thought about the post and hearing their brand of awesome. I tend to skip over the trolls, though) I saw one from a teacher who talked about an assignment that they give their students every year that they “borrowed” from a grad student. So Google and I had a chat and I found a couple of different exercises, but they were pretty much the same thing: Write a list of 50 things that you're awesome at or are awesome about you.
"To be happy, we must not be too concerned
with others."
--Albert Camus


What an amazing concept! Something so simple to remind us of that (sometimes hidden) bit of greatness that we possess! And the wonderful thing is that you don't have to believe there are 50 things about yourself that are worth rating as awesome or even liking; you can start the list without even numbering it and just write a few things to see where it goes. I bet you'd be surprised by some of your own answers.

So that's my challenge to YOU today: FIND YOUR AWESOMENESS! Re-claim it if it's been hidden, taken or squashed! Remember that little person who pretended you could fly while you rode your bike down the steepest hill you could find in your neighborhood or finally completed that cartwheel without falling down...remember the little kid feeling that life has to offer when you live in the day and stop worrying about tomorrow. And every time you start slipping out of today, take out that list and re-read it.

1 comment:

Klaire Voyant said...

I read a great book not too long ago about finding yourself again. It tells you to remember back during your childhood at the things you loved and who you were -- what you did, what you were good at, drawn to, etc. I've always said you are who you were in the 4th grade. People change, but not that much. We are who we are.

I've had my awesome stolen from me, beaten out of me, and the worse of all, given it away myself.

This is a great reminder to keep and BE yourself. You might as well. Everyone else is already taken.