Pages

Saturday, July 30, 2011

A Sitcom Life

My mom once said that nothing bad ever really phases me because I just dance through life, nothing ever really touches me. I actually loved that way of looking at it for a long time, but I'm starting to look at it a different way. I've decided that I live in a sitcom. That's the only explanation for my life that I have been able to come up with.

Yesterday started with what I can only call comical in retrospect and kept getting better as the day wore on. I think that must be one of the Gifts that I've been given; the power to walk away, calm down and then laugh. I know plenty of other people who would still be fuming over waking up to a 3 year old screaming at a 14 year old and honey & ants covering the love seat in her living room because the same 14 year old had left it out after fixing himself a midnight snack; but why? Toddler Troll was trying to kill the ants with the honey. He had no way of knowing it would attract more...his 3 year old brain decided it was a good idea so that's what he did.

Later in the day I asked Monster Teen to please empty the dishwasher. I've tasked him with certain chores as he's gotten older and this was one of the first things that I chose to use for his lesson in responsibility. He's done it now for many years and only occasionally messes up the task by putting something in the wrong place, but, for some reason, yesterday he unloaded the bottom part and left the top un-emptied. I again was in a situation where I could either choose to get upset or choose to laugh. I laughed with full on gusto all the way to his room! When I got there I asked him if there was a reason he had unloaded the bottom, but not the top and he looked at me completely baffled. This only got me to dissolve into more fits of laughter which got him laughing as he went to complete his chore.

There are more items like that which have colored my world and I know for a long time I had lost the ability to find humor in them, but over the last year and a half it has started to shift back. I've found my humor again and am enjoying this crazy sitcom that surrounds me. It makes us all a happier bunch because with laughter around you, how can you be upset with anything for long? So next time you're faced with a unusual situation that could leave you upset, try to find the humor. It will only take a moment to let the smile start and then the laughing will follow if you let it.

No comments: