Pages

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Mirror Of Behavior, Am I A Good Friend?

You never know what you mean to someone until it's suddenly brought to your attention in a grand way. More than that, you never know whose life you're going to touch the most. I've mentioned before that I suffer from the Curse of the People Pleasers and the people that I actually TRY to please end up being the ones that I meant the least to in the grand scheme of things. That's not saying that we don't enjoy each other's company from time to time or that the friendship doesn't mean anything, but we don't fully appreciate one another. The people that I have meant the most to in my life are the ones that I have just been myself around.

Those are the people that I feel at ease around...I never have to be anything other than myself. I believe that is what true friendship is about; being yourself without fear of judgement. I've only got a few of these kinds of friendships in my life and only a small bit of those count as heart family. I shouldn't be shocked when one of them finds me to be the kind of friend that I feel they are. A serious lack of self worth causes me to never see it coming.

Today was such a case. A dear friend started her own blog and wrote about me and what I mean to her. I've never seen such wonderful things written about myself! I had always hoped that I was the kind of person that she spoke of, but to see someone truly feel that way about me was priceless. Especially since I wasn't trying to impress her or leave any kind of lasting impression...5 years ago she requested me on Facebook because her husband went to high school with me and she'd heard a lot about me. A chance encounter that has led to a lasting friendship...one that I am eternally grateful for.

So what is the point of all of this you ask? It's this: are you being the best kind of friend you can be? Write down what you want out of your ideal friendship and use that list against yourself. Be honest...no one else is going to see it, so why not?! Look at the things that are on that list as the best way to be...because isn't that what we are supposed to do? Treat the people around us like we want to be treated? It's what we teach our kids, but are we practicing it? Because if we aren't the best kind of friend they won't ever learn how to be; because young children learn from example before they ever learn from our words.

Think about that: are you the best example of what you want your children to be? They hang on our every word and imitate us when they play. Haven't you ever heard them talking to their toys telling them how to behave? The way you hear them talking to those toys is how they hear you speak. They are the best Mirror of Behavior in the universe...so make sure what they have to reflect is the best you have to offer.

1 comment:

Jessica Hurst said...

Alizon,
You seriously made my heart fly a thousand feet into the clouds. :) You are a truly amazing friend. Your writing is spendid. I don't know what I would do without you. Thank God for Alan!! <3 you